Mourinho explains Willian and Maticsubstitutions



Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho defended his
decision to replace both Nemanja Matic and
Willian during the defeat by Southampton and
leave Cesc Fabregas on the field.

Boos were heard at Stamford Bridge when Willian,
who had scored the opening goal, was taken
off after 64 minutes, while Matic – who had only
come at half-time – played just 27 minutes.
But Mourinho insisted Willian had been ill at the
break and could not continue, and rejected
accusations he had humiliated Matic with his early
substitution.
He said: “When the fans boo the Willian decision, I
would do that too if I didn’t know he was vomiting
at half-time and the doctor said it would be hard
for him to carry on.
“[With Matic], it was not humiliating. I do not do
that to anyone, in football or in life.
“I like the players, I trust them and I know that
they are good players. But I know that some are in
a difficult moment.
“Matic is not playing well, he is not sharp
defensively, not good with the ball and he is not
making the right decisions.
“When we conceded I needed to bring another
striker on. I kept Oscar because he creates.
“I kept Fabregas because he is the one that copes
better with the pressure. Even if not playing well
his emotional stability is high.”

Comments