Police arrest man for stealing girlfriend’s wrappers

Ebute Meta Chief Magistrate Court
The police have arrested a 25-year-old man,
Ayuba Adamu, for allegedly stealing wrappers
belonging to his girlfriend, Alhaja Hajarat
Jamiliu.
The police said the Nigerien national also stole a
cash sum of N10,000 from Jamiliu.
The incident happened on Market Street, Ebute-
Meta area of Lagos State.
It was learnt that the duo had been dating for
some time, with Adamu visiting his lover at her
apartment in the community.
They reportedly had a misunderstanding, which
had yet to be resolved when the incident
happened.
A police source said the suspect sneaked into
Jamiliu’s apartment at about 1am on Saturday
and carried out the act.
He said the suspect, after he was arrested,
attempted to escape but was later apprehended.
He said, “He sneaked into the woman’s house
and took the items. The complainant reported at
the Denton Police Division and said she
suspected him.
“When he was arrested, he led the police to
where he kept some of the items and only a bed
sheet was recovered. We could not find the
wrappers. The woman was willing to let him go
and take back her belongings, but he decided to
escape with the handcuffs on his wrists. He ran
as far as Iddo junction and mixed himself with
the crowd.”
We learnt that the suspect was
spotted by some policemen controlling traffic in
the area, who re-arrested him.
The police arraigned him and his friend,
Mohammed Jaminu, 25, on three counts
bordering on stealing.
The police prosecutor, Inspector Victor Iweada,
who was represented by Corporal Augustine
Chuwkwuocha, said the offence was punishable
under sections 409, 285 and 106 of the Criminal
Law of Lagos State, Nigeria, 2011.
The defendants were not represented by any
lawyer.
While Adamu denied stealing the N10,000, he
admitted to stealing the wrappers and running
from police custody.
He said, “I stole the wrappers and bed sheet
when I was going to my village. I kept two
wrappers somewhere, while I gave the rest to
somebody to sell for me. When I returned from
my village, I discovered they had stolen the ones
I kept, while I couldn’t get any money from the
ones I gave someone to sell for me. I did not
take any money.”
His alleged accomplice, Jaminu, a motorcyclist,
pleaded not guilty to the charges.
After preliminary enquiries, he was absolved of
the charges, as both Adamu and Jamiliu testified
that he was innocent.
The Magistrate, Mrs. Bola Folarin-Williams
discharged Jaminu and adjourned the facts and
sentence for Adamu till July 24, 2015.


Comments