I’ve never beaten my wife – Emeka Ike



Like a Nollywood movie, the saga continues in
the house of the Ikes. Last week, the internet
went agog when news broke that Suzanne, wife
of iconic actor, Emeka Ike, filed for divorce in a
Lagos court. She claimed that her husband often
beat her and when the battering was too much,
she decided to leave the house.
In an exclusive chat with Saturday Beats, the
dark-skinned actor said that he also learnt about
the news on the internet. He said he had not
been served with any court papers.
“I also read the news of the divorce online when
someone called my attention to it. I have not got
any letter from any court yet, so it is all still
speculations. Every family has its challenges and
people disagree over issues a lot. Marriage is not
just about husband and wife but the children. I
will not play with that mandate because my
children are my prerogative and they have to be
properly protected. Nobody should mess them up
because of all these rumours,” he said.
Ike said that the love he has for his wife would
never allow him to beat her for any reason. He
said he had never beaten the mother of his
children and challenged whoever does not
believe him to ask his children or neighbours if
such has ever occurred.
The President of the Actors Guild of Nigeria, in
an emotional tone told Saturday Beats that he
adores his wife and she is probably using that
against him. He appealed to his wife to come
back home because the children are missing her.
“If my wife says I am a wife beater, the children
would have witnessed such. I have a 14-year-
old boy who is grown and has moustache now,
you can ask him if I have ever beaten his
mother. Never in my life have I raised my hand
to beat my wife. I adore that woman and I love
her a lot. If she wants to use my love against
me, no problem and if people do not believe me,
they should go to my former residence in Lagos
to ask my neighbours if they ever heard that I
beat my wife. Rather when my wife starts
making noise like women normally do, I use that
period to train my children. I would ask my
children like this, ‘what do you do when a
woman begins to nag at home?’ They would tell
you that the next thing to do is pick your car
keys and drive off. That is the normal training I
give my sons so that they would never beat their
wives. If my wife wants to leave me, she should
have just said that it is due to irreconcilable
differences and not that I am a wife beater. It
would mean that she is trying to get
unnecessary sympathy and I don’t think she
would say such. When I showed my children
what was on the internet, they were sad and
said that it was a lie because I don’t beat their
mother. I am a father of four children and I must
protect them first before I even protect myself.
That is why I would never say any bad thing
about their mother. God would judge us all in
life. Anyone who sees my wife should tell her to
come back home to her children because they
need her,” he said.


Comments