Seven women arrested in Ondo for prostitution and child trafficking

In  Akure, seven women have been arrested by
Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC,
Ondo State command, for alleged prostitution and
child trafficking.
The suspects were arrested at a brothel on Car
Street, Akure, the state capital.
prostitutesThe suspects were paraded by the
command after they were arrested for trafficking a
girl, Faith Ekepemephia, from her home town in
Akwa Ibom to Akure, for prostitution.
According to the command’s Public Relations
Officer, Kayode Balogun, officials of the agency
got wind of the incident after complaints from
some church members.
Balogun added that the suspects had been
handed over to officials of National Agency for
Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons, NAPTIP, for
further investigation.
‘How I was lured into prostitution’
Narrating her ordeal when the suspects were
paraded, the victim, Faith Ekpemephia, said she
was lured from her home town in Akwa Ibom to
Akure under the guise of serving as a maid.
Faith said she later discovered she had been
recruited to engage in prostitution in a hotel in
Akure.
She said: “A girl from my village in Akwa Ibom,
who resides in Akure, Ondo State, told me that
one madam she currently works with needed the
service of a house help.
“The girl said I would be helping the madam do
house chores and will be paid monthly.”
Faith said when she arrived Akure penultimate
Tuesday, she was lodged in a brothel and was
introduced into prostitution.
She said: “I arrived Akure last Tuesday for the
house help job only to be lodged in a hotel. It
was later that I discovered that I have been lured
into prostitution.
“I cried and told them that I want to go back to
my village as this was not the type of work she
told me about, but she threatened me.”
Faith said she had to run away from the hotel as
she was tired of the situation.
She said: “The woman always collected the
service money from me any time I meet with a
man. I have made up to N6,000 and slept with
more than three men since my arrival.”

Comments